Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire One: Part 5: Fixing the Aspire One Internet Problem

Saturday, July 30, 2011

So the first thing that is very noticeable about Mac OS X is that it won’t detect any Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection. Many forums have guided their Acer counterparts to replace their network card saying that the one built into the D250 in particular isn’t compatible. Well, it isn’t necessary and as you install other kexts, only a few are needed to get Safari up and running.

I have uploaded these kexts and you can download them all below. I have also uploaded the kext utility that I used to install them.

Kext Files for Acer Aspire One Wi-Fi and Ethernet

Wi-Fi Kext (Updated)

Ethernet Kext (Updated)

If you have a different computer

www.kexts.com – You will need to register an account

Kext Installer

Kext Helper b7

Installation is easy and relatively quick.

  1. Place the Kext Helper on your desktop.
  2. Unzip – if Mac doesn’t do it automatically for you in the download- the kext files
  3. Drag and drop the kext files over Kext Helper
  4. Enter your Admin Password and hit Easy Install.
  5. Then reboot and you will have the Wi-Fi up and running. At this point, it will find a network, when you connect it will ask for the WEP key – if it isn’t a free public network. Type in the WEP key and then internet will work.

Continue with the series

Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire One Series

<< Previous                  Next >>

29 Blogger:

Rajiv said...

Hello.
I have done this but after is says that it is installed and i should reboot, Kext Helper does not exit and i have to force quit and this does not allow the kext files to be installed properly. Any help???

Julian said...

@RajivInstall the kexts, and you will have to force quit Kext Helper. In some cases, you may even have to force a restart - by holding the power button and then starting it up again.

It shouldn't affect the kext installation, when you reboot the internet will work. If it doesn't work from the menu bar, then you just have to go to the Network settings and out of nowhere it will prompt you that it detected a network.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem as Rajiv above. I have to do a hard reboot, and then when I try to boot back into OS X, it just gives me a blank light blue screen (same one that it showed during initial boot for several minutes before bringing up the create-an-account screens). However, this one seems to never go away.

I'm on an Aspire One D250.

Julian said...

@comthoughtTry booting into the installer, go to disk utility and then repair the permissions.

Jithu said...

Hello, I have the problem as comthought. Tried repairing the permissions, but it says me that there are no installations files.

What could I do?

jrburris said...

I have a slightly different issue. I have installed the kexts as described. Ethernet works and WIFI picks up my network and tells me that I am connected, but tells me that I do not have access to the internet. It is self assigning an IP address of 169.254.110.X with a 16 bit subnet mask. This is not from my wireless router. I am anxious to get this working. Please help.

Acer Aspire One D250 using a Dlink DIR-628 Wireless Router

Jithu said...

I got it resolved after waiting some more minutes in the light blue screen.

@Julian - Thanks for creating this amazing guide!

Julian said...

@jrburrisInteresting, did you try the troubleshoot in OS X in the network settings? Perhaps they will work like Windows because I know that in Windows 8 Developer Preview, I have that problem all the time and Troubleshoot fixes it. I will look into it.

Julian said...

@Jithu Your welcome, I am glad that it helped you! I am happy that people are taking the time to respond because I crafted this tutorial from my experience with trial and error as I had no machine-specific resources when I took on the project.

jrburris said...

After doing some research on other forums, I found that Dlink and Mac don't always seem to get along. I had to change the mode on my Dlink from "mixed 802.11b and 802.11G and 802.11N" to "mixed 802.11b and 802.11g" Mac was trying to connect through an N connection and for some reason it just wouldn't work. By removing the N functionality from the Dlink, it forces Mac to connect through a G connection and all is well.
@Julian - I also would like to thank you for creating this very easy to follow guide. It is awesome!

Julian said...

@jrburris Your welcome, and thanks to your input, the next person who has a similar problem to you can just follow your solution and trials in the comments.

Anonymous said...

help please, will not start after you install the kexts, it is a white screen after the apple

Anonymous said...

@julian help please, will not start after you install the kexts, it is a white screen after the apple

Julian said...

@Anonymous Plug in the iAtkos installer, go to disk utility (utilities menu), repair permissions, quit everything (will restart your computer) and then boot with -y. Let me know if that works.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making such a great tutorial! Just one issue, I installed the IO802.11family kext and it appears nothing has happened upon restart and restoration of privilages. Ethernet worked fine upon install of kext. Any advice?

Julian said...

@AnonymousIt might not be evident. There are 2 kexts, one for wifi (IO802.11family) and there should also be one for Ethernet. So if Ethernet is a problem you can just fix it with that kext.

Go to your network settings and add a network and it should show up. It will just detect it out of nowhere and prompt you.

Ryan B. said...

For whatever reason, the wifi kext will not work for me. I poked around on some forums and found a lot of folks saying the Atheros Ar5001 isn't compatible. Another site recommended upgrading to 10.6.5 to solve the problem. I've done the install as specified here about three times with no luck, and quite a few times with other guides as well. I would really like to get that wifi up and running! Thanks for a great install guide, by the way. Oh, and by the way, the ethernet kext worked flawlessly.

Julian said...

@Ryan B. I guess it depends on the model because at first, I was in your boat until I found this kext. Did you try going to the network settings and manually configuring it after a restart? Sometimes it seems like it doesn't work but it does. For instance, on my hackintosh the WiFi Card has no indicator light at all but it works.

Ryan B. said...

Yeah, I tried going through the system prefs network settings, but to no avail. This recent time that I reinstalled with iatkos I actually was unable to restart after installing the kext, similar to "anonymous" above references. I've tried booting with variations of different flags, and -x has been relatively successful, but sometimes crashes on the login screen. But still, once I get to the desktop I've got no wifi. I wonder if maybe digging around for a different IO802.11family kext would work?

Julian said...

@Ryan B.Perhaps. It is possible that your model of the Acer Aspire One has a different wireless card than mine.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julian,
Having a similar problem, repairs the permission, how do I specify the -y option as mention above?
Thak john

Julian said...

@Anonymous At the bootloader, you just start typing, and look around for it, usually you will see the small text on top left or middle, some even have bottom left.

Once you see -y, you hit enter (with the right partition selected using arrow keys)

Robert said...

Which model is your wireless card?
My laptop is a D250 but I can not make it work.
My ethernet works fine, thanks.

Greetings from Mexico. -Robert.

Julian said...

@Robert I have an AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter from Atheros Communications Inc. A good place to search for the kext that goes with your wifi card would be kexts.com.

You can find out what yours is by going to About this Mac in the apple menu and then clicking More Info and then going to Network and in Network to the Airport tab and read through it and it will tell you. If all else fails, try seeing it in Windows with device manager or in Ubuntu by going to the terminal and typing sudo lshw.


Hope that helps.

Robert said...

Hi, my wireless card is Atheros AR5007 EG, could you help me with some kexts?

Thank you.

Julian said...

@Robert I am assuming you didn't go to the Network settings and tried to manually configure a network and thus the kext that worked on my machine didn't work on yours. At this point, the one place I can point you to is kexts.com which is where I got my kexts and based on what I saw, if it isn't there it isn't available or you will have to search around. The bulk of hackintosh is experimenting with kexts but the procedure is the same.

If you find the kext, please do provide a link to it so that others can try it too!

Robert said...

In fact, I tried to manually configure a network, but had no success. I have to try other kexts and user experience. Anyway thank you very much your time and help.

Julian said...

@Robert The kext work is frustrating, I understand and I can't make a repository for every kext out there for every system out there, but if you find the kext, you can plug it into the procedure I provided. As it stands, hackintosh requires a lot of experimentation but once you find the right kexts, you're good to go.

Anonymous said...

Everything worked for me up till now. I installed the kexts and forced shutdown. But when I turned it back on it loaded and went to the home screen. But it had no menu bar on top and I couldn't click on anything. Any ideas?

Post a Comment

 
Computer Software is Your Friend © 2012 | Designed by Bubble Shooter, in collaboration with Reseller Hosting , Forum Jual Beli and Business Solutions